Does Jesus or the Cross offend you?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Does Jesus or the Cross offend you?

Many people when talking to Christians or confronting Christian topics try to pull the "offended" card in hopes to make everything all better.  I don't believe there are many of those people on here, but I came across an article that I feel makes good points on the topic just the same;

http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/1414727/

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Oh, let's just skip the

Oh, let's just skip the whole inane post and address this right here:

caposkia wrote:

Quote:
Also, if you're claiming no miracles happen in the United States, you should do some research.

Enlighten me as to these miracles or turn tail and run.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote: Oh,

AmericanIdle wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Quote:
Also, if you're claiming no miracles happen in the United States, you should do some research.

Enlighten me as to these miracles or turn tail and run.

Where to start...

find the fire maps of the last major outbreak in California of wildfires.  Let me know of any unusual discrepencies in the maps... then we'll take it from there.  

This would have been from a few years ago now.  I'm talking major outbreak, not the smaller ones more recent.   

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote: ,

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

, like most atheists, am not offended by religious symbols. If it makes someone feel better putting a cross on a public highway when someone dies after an accident who am I to say they can't. The problem I see is the inconsistency in the treatment of all beliefs. If nativity scenes can be put up in the public square, then a satanist should have the same right as a christian. However, the christian would end up being upset that a non-godly display was allowed to be shown in public. Case in point, it was just recently the government allowed soldiers to be buried in a national cemetary under a tombstone with a wiccan symbol.

not to discredit anything you were saying, because I agree with where you're coming from.  However, this is even more evidence that this is in fact a Christian nation for all those who would think otherwise.  Stats don't lie.  If it wasn't a Christian nation.  this issue above...well... wouldn't be an issue in this country.  Anyone disagree?  

Don't even try to counter it by saying someone will have a problem.  we all know that both Atheists and Christians alike have people in their following that are sensitive about things like this.  I'm not saying it's right, but you know it's true.   

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Getting back to the topic, I don't believe most atheists are offended in the strictest meaning of the word. Falling back on the offended arguement is just lazy. There are so many other and much better ways to discount claims from theists. I especially love thumping on Young Earth Creationists, they are some serious whack jobs. I am only offended if I have to sit through some fundy prayer when my tax dollars are paying for it.

amen brotha!  As far as discounting claims, I guess it depends on the following.  YEC's are seriously easy to discount be it that if you look at the Hebrew in Genesis, you'll see that the word "Day" is a mistranslation and should actually read as unspecific periods of time.  It is assumed however that those unspecific periods of time were close to the same length each, but no one can claim from any evidence that it was meant to represent just a 24 hour period as far as we understand it.  

Every sect of Christianity has it's own way of presenting things.  Usually because one person in their history said "this is how it is" and others said, "sure that makes sense" and put it in their books as accurate.   Just because you can easily dismiss a particular understanding from a Christian sect does not in any way discredit Christianity as a whole.  

To really start discrediting Christianity, one would have to start by saying historically, the events presented in scripture did not actually happen.   Lack of evidence is not an excuse either.  Many have tried that one and I'm sorry, but if there isn't something to fill that gap in time, it's still a probable scenario.  

magilum
User is offlineOffline
caposkia

caposkia wrote:
AmericanIdle wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Quote:

Where to start...

find the fire maps of the last major outbreak in California of wildfires.  Let me know of any unusual discrepencies in the maps... then we'll take it from there.  

This would have been from a few years ago now.  I'm talking major outbreak, not the smaller ones more recent.   

Just spit it out. What arbitrary distinction, among the devastation and choking ash, is considered a miracle? Is this going to be the theme of your supposed miracles? The argument from incomplete devastation? A train derails, killing everyone but one little girl, therefore miracle?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: caposkia

magilum wrote:

caposkia wrote:
AmericanIdle wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Quote:

Where to start...

find the fire maps of the last major outbreak in California of wildfires. Let me know of any unusual discrepencies in the maps... then we'll take it from there.

This would have been from a few years ago now. I'm talking major outbreak, not the smaller ones more recent.

Just spit it out. What arbitrary distinction, among the devastation and choking ash, is considered a miracle? Is this going to be the theme of your supposed miracles? The argument from incomplete devastation? A train derails, killing everyone but one little girl, therefore miracle?

alright, but I don't want to hear any "where's the proof" or "all heresay" or any other lame excuse.   If you want the proof, it's there in the maps. 

In Northern California, you'll find a few perfect circle patches that were untouched by the fire, however the fire consumed everything else around those circle patches.   So, whatever right?  Well, houses were in those untouched circles.  A family prayed for protection from the fires.  They were apprently protected.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
a Christian Nation

So many excuses on why it's not a Christian nation and yet, when you look at it, none of these "theistic etchings" would have been allowed if it was not a Christian nation.  Why?  It would be illegal. 

One could not claim to put any deity on anything of the government if this nation was indeed a non-Christian nation.   

BTW, I've given many evidences of our founding fathers as believers, look at the first page.  Also, being a deist acknowleges the existance of the God Christians believe in! (YHWH).  The only religions in the world that I know of that claim to follow that same God is Christiandom, Judaism, and Islam.  I'm willing to put money on the fact that our founders were not Islamic in nature, so the only other option is Judaism.  However, Jews were not well known or liked for that matter in England or close areas thereof, so I'm guessing Christianity has to be the choice.    

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:

caposkia wrote:

In Northern California, you'll find a few perfect circle patches that were untouched by the fire, however the fire consumed everything else around those circle patches. So, whatever right? Well, houses were in those untouched circles. A family prayed for protection from the fires. They were apprently protected.

So the christian god let a large swath of land burn in his christian nation, and left a few spots untouched -- and that's a miracle?

And you know for a fact that the families who weren't protected didn't pray?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Fish
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: Where to

caposkia wrote:

Where to start...

find the fire maps of the last major outbreak in California of wildfires. Let me know of any unusual discrepencies in the maps... then we'll take it from there.

This would have been from a few years ago now. I'm talking major outbreak, not the smaller ones more recent.

caposkia wrote:

alright, but I don't want to hear any "where's the proof" or "all heresay" or any other lame excuse. If you want the proof, it's there in the maps.

In Northern California, you'll find a few perfect circle patches that were untouched by the fire, however the fire consumed everything else around those circle patches. So, whatever right? Well, houses were in those untouched circles. A family prayed for protection from the fires. They were apprently protected.

Which maps are you talking about? I've taken a look at the Northern California Geographic Area Coordination Center's website, which doesn't really seem to have an archive of maps from previous years. I've also checked out NASA's page, which has some satellite images and also a surveying company's site (esri), and I haven't been able to find any maps with "discrepencies." What is a date/area where we can see them?

caposkia wrote:
However, this is even more evidence that this is in fact a Christian nation for all those who would think otherwise. Stats don't lie. If it wasn't a Christian nation. this issue above...well... wouldn't be an issue in this country.

You're confusing a country that has Chrisitans in it with a Christian Nation. Yes, there are Christians in America, and this does create problems and conflicts. That doesn't mean that the country is founded on or officially supports Christianity. If it did, Christianity would be legally supported, and there wouldn't be any disputes about whether or not things like nativity scenes are appropriate.

caposkia wrote:

So many excuses on why it's not a Christian nation and yet, when you look at it, none of these "theistic etchings" would have been allowed if it was not a Christian nation. Why? It would be illegal.

One could not claim to put any deity on anything of the government if this nation was indeed a non-Christian nation.

Here you are confused about the history of America. The motto "in god we trust" does not necessitate a Christian god. In addition, it was not America's motto until long after the founding. This is true for the other instances of religion that have found their way into the government as well. If you read the works of the Founders and look at the Constitution itself, you will see that the country was founded in such a way as to create a secular government.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:

caposkia wrote:
Every sect of Christianity has it's own way of presenting things.

Which is to say, every sect of christianity disagrees with the others.

caposkia wrote:
Just because you can easily dismiss a particular understanding from a Christian sect does not in any way discredit Christianity as a whole.

Sure it does. Because in the end, noone knows what real christianity is.

caposkia wrote:

To really start discrediting Christianity, one would have to start by saying historically, the events presented in scripture did not actually happen.

Historically, the events presented in scripture did not actually happen.

caposkia wrote:
Lack of evidence is not an excuse either. Many have tried that one and I'm sorry, but if there isn't something to fill that gap in time, it's still a probable scenario.

First of all, there's no gap in time to fill, and a scenario that reads like a myth is not probable, with or without a gap.

caposkia wrote:

BTW, I've given many evidences of our founding fathers as believers, look at the first page.

Noone has argued that there were not believers among the founders. The founders may have had their personal religious beliefs, but those were kept explicitly out of the constitution.

We have already given you evidence for this. You have been provided with founders' quotes unfavorable of xianity. The Treaty of Tripoli has been presented to you now several times, wherein allegiance to christianity is disavowed.  Rather than respond directly to that citation, you ignorantly respond by coppasting the Mayflower Compact - over 150 years before the founding of this secular nation.

You are yet to admit in full that you were dead wrong when you said the president was required to be christian. Care to show some integrity for once?

caposkia wrote:
Also, being a deist acknowleges the existance of the God Christians believe in! (YHWH).

False. And Ignorant.

caposkia wrote:
The only religions in the world that I know of that claim to follow that same God is Christiandom, Judaism, and Islam. I'm willing to put money on the fact that our founders were not Islamic in nature, so the only other option is Judaism. However, Jews were not well known or liked for that matter in England or close areas thereof, so I'm guessing Christianity has to be the choice.

Once again, we need not concern ourselves with whatever irrational beliefs certain founders held privately. We need only be concerned that they not seek to impress their beliefs upon the rest of us. We are duly protected from this by the constitution. This may be a nation where christians live, but it is not a christian nation.

πππ†
π†††

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: So the

zarathustra wrote:

So the christian god let a large swath of land burn in his christian nation, and left a few spots untouched -- and that's a miracle?

you tell me

zarathustra wrote:

And you know for a fact that the families who weren't protected didn't pray?

Did I say that?  Prayer is not always answered in the way we want it answered.  The fact that it did happen for this family and it looks like one other ironically in the same way is the miracle. 

Though if you really want to get into the technicalities of a miracle, I guess it's a matter of opinion on whether it was a miracle or not.  Knowing the power of God, that family might disagree with the miracle label.   

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Which maps are

Fish wrote:

Which maps are you talking about? I've taken a look at the Northern California Geographic Area Coordination Center's website, which doesn't really seem to have an archive of maps from previous years. I've also checked out NASA's page, which has some satellite images and also a surveying company's site (esri), and I haven't been able to find any maps with "discrepencies." What is a date/area where we can see them?

The time period would definitely be in the early 2000's... I believe it was 2001 or 2002.  See if this site helps at all:

http://geomac.usgs.gov/

Though I'm not sure how detailed the maps are, or if they only show locations of outbreaks.  there is a good history on that site none-the-less.   

Fish wrote:

You're confusing a country that has Chrisitans in it with a Christian Nation. Yes, there are Christians in America, and this does create problems and conflicts. That doesn't mean that the country is founded on or officially supports Christianity. If it did, Christianity would be legally supported, and there wouldn't be any disputes about whether or not things like nativity scenes are appropriate.

I'll have to ask what you mean by "legally supported".  Sure there are Christians in this country, there's also an ever growing number of muslims in this country.  The number has been quite large actually for years.   Why not "In Allah we trust" then?  Was it that Christians got to the government or the right people first?  

Every other religion that I am aware of almost always refers to their higher power by its name e.g. Allah, Buddah, Muhammad, etc.  Only Christians have been known to refer to God as such without using the name as the norm to refer to Him. 

A little bit of history involved in that reasoning that other religions also cannot claim is there as well be it in short terms;  Jews took into consideration that blaspheming Gods name was the only unforgivable sin, so they took the name completely out of their language and writings so as to this day,  no one really knows how to pronounce God's true name.  

Also, why would you say that there would be no dispute on what is appropriate or not?  Do you really think Christians would send complainers to jail?  LOL!!!!

Fish wrote:

Here you are confused about the history of America. The motto "in god we trust" does not necessitate a Christian god. In addition, it was not America's motto until long after the founding. This is true for the other instances of religion that have found their way into the government as well. If you read the works of the Founders and look at the Constitution itself, you will see that the country was founded in such a way as to create a secular government. 

Or more accurately, it was founded in such a way that neither could impede upon each others actions.  

It wasn't "to create a secular government"  if it were, they would have said that.  Instead it's to make sure what I think you were saying above didn't really happen.  That being it would be against the law to have other religions or other views for that matter besides what (whatever church happens to think they're better at the time) says is right.  

Still most of the signers of the Constitution were followers of the Christian God.  Each had their own understanding of that, but still claimed the Christian God to be Almighty.   They didn't want to close doors to outside beliefs.  They wanted everyone welcome, therefore, no church or any belief could control the government and make it their own.  

It was the problem they were having in England where Christianity was being shut down by the belief of that particular government.  They knew what it was like to be on that end, so they didn't want to do that to anyone else.  (that's my understanding)

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

Every sect of Christianity has it's own way of presenting things.

Which is to say, every sect of christianity disagrees with the others.

In some aspects of course. That's why they're sects. Sorry to break it to you, but you can't look at sects and religions and expect that to truely represent Christianity.

BTW, true followers of Christ dwell outside sects. They stick true to what Biblical scripture shows along with history and science.

zarathustra wrote:

Sure it does. Because in the end, noone knows what real christianity is.

Really! My guess is you've never talked to a true Christian then.

zarathustra wrote:

Show me the proof.

zarathustra wrote:

First of all, there's no gap in time to fill, and a scenario that reads like a myth is not probable, with or without a gap.

And what would define "reads like a myth"? Something you decided can't be true maybe?

Ball lightning for example. Millions of people around the world claim to have seen it.

BUT...

science can't explain it... there are accounts in history of it... eh, but the sources sound like stories (myths) to me... I personally haven't seen it... therefore, Ball lightning does not happen!

zarathustra wrote:

Noone has argued that there were not believers among the founders. The founders may have had their personal religious beliefs, but those were kept explicitly out of the constitution.

We have already given you evidence for this. You have been provided with founders' quotes unfavorable of xianity. The Treaty of Tripoli has been presented to you now several times, wherein allegiance to christianity is disavowed. Rather than respond directly to that citation, you ignorantly respond by coppasting the Mayflower Compact - over 150 years before the founding of this secular nation.

You are yet to admit in full that you were dead wrong when you said the president was required to be christian. Care to show some integrity for once?

I'm yet to admit in full that I was dead wrong about presidents required to be Christian!!!! huh????? uh... see below:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

Christianity isn't required to run for president. I don't know where you got that idea. Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution says nobody can be forced to accept a religion to be eligible for federal employment and the 14th amendment makes it binding on state governments.

I later corrected myself. It's what I get for responding to quickly... Someone told me there were out right athiests who were elected as President. Could you list their names please? Just because I didn't know this.

If "I later corrected myself" as a response to the above statement and that I went as far as to post a correction to my statement isn't enough for you to say that I admitted to being wrong, I'll remedy that now. (I CAPOSKIA WAS WRONG WHEN I STATED THAT ONE WAS REQUIRED TO BE CHRISTIAN TO BECOME PRESIDENT. SIGNED CAPOSKIA IN WITNESS TO ALL WHO READ THIS BLOG!!!)

I hope we're square now.

Back to the topic at hand, I have shown you all a lot of integrity. I have given you all just as much if not more quotes from many of the same people you claim to be atheistic making some very theistic statements. They may not have a hardcore following of Christ, but they acknowlege the Almighty God. I'm sure not every single one of them were believers, but it is the majority mindset that is the deciding factor. Just because they didn't explicitly put in "Christianity Rules!" doesnt' mean they were not abiding by Christian law. We've been through this in this blog already, please reread. There is nothing in the Constitution that goes against Christian law as far as I know. Care to stop coming up with excuses for once?

zarathustra wrote:

Once again, we need not concern ourselves with whatever irrational beliefs certain founders held privately. We need only be concerned that they not seek to impress their beliefs upon the rest of us. We are duly protected from this by the constitution. This may be a nation where christians live, but it is not a christian nation.

obviously that's what you want to believe. Just understand that whatever beliefs anyone holds privately, they will not blaspheme in public. Therefore, none who believed would go against any of those beliefs in writing said paper.

Same with this site. None making this site would go against their own belief to make this site. What you're saying is basically there could be Theists who helped build this site because regardless of their beliefs in private, this site is still antitheistic.

It's not about "impressing" beliefs. No wonder Christianity is so warped in a non-believers mind.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia

caposkia wrote:
zarathustra wrote:

you tell me

I just did. 

caposkia wrote:
Prayer is not always answered in the way we want it answered.

So when one household prays for protection from a fire and survives, obviously their prayer was answered.  And when any of the surrounding households pray for protection and don't survive, obviously their prayers were answered in a different way.

People with common sense have a phrase for this:  selective reasoning

caposkia wrote:
The fact that it did happen for this family and it looks like one other ironically in the same way is the miracle.

So god was more concerned about making a circle than about saving all the surrounding homes and people.  If that's the case, I think we can do without any more miracles.

bin laden (who probably prays 5 times every day), thought that the Towers would only collapse to the points of the planes' impact.  When the Towers, collapsed entirely, he praised it as an act of god.  Miracle?  You tell me.

caposkia wrote:

Though if you really want to get into the technicalities of a miracle, I guess it's a matter of opinion on whether it was a miracle or not. 

If you really want to get into the technicalities of logic, there's no such thing as miracles.

πππ†
π†††

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:zarathustra

caposkia wrote:
My guess is you've never talked to a true Christian then.

Response split off here

caposkia wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

Show me the proof.

Show you the proof that they didn't happen?  The proof that they did happen is insufficient.

caposkia wrote:

And what would define "reads like a myth"? Something you decided can't be true maybe?

Yes.  The story of a virgin-born, cheap trick-performing, undead divinity is so ridiculous, I have indeed decided it can't be true, irrespective of the fact that jesus isn't the only version of the story.  How about mohammed flying to heaven on a horse, joseph smith digging up moroni's golden plates, or l.r.h vacationing in the Van Allen Belt?  Have you decided they can't be true, or are you keeping an open mind?

caposkia wrote:

Ball lightning for example. Millions of people around the world claim to have seen it.

BUT...

science can't explain it... there are accounts in history of it... eh, but the sources sound like stories (myths) to me... I personally haven't seen it... therefore, Ball lightning does not happen!

So science can't explain "ball lightning"... therefore the jesus story is true ... but not the dionysus story, nor the mohammed story nor ...

caposkia wrote:

I'm yet to admit in full that I was dead wrong about presidents required to be Christian!!!! huh????? uh... see below:

I later corrected myself.

When I asked for you to back it up, you said (my emphasis added): 

Quote:
ya know, I could be wrong on that...

Hardly a forthright admission of error.

caposkia wrote:

It's what I get for responding to quickly...

Responding too quickly... and knowing too little.

caposkia wrote:

If "I later corrected myself" as a response to the above statement and that I went as far as to post a correction to my statement isn't enough for you to say that I admitted to being wrong, I'll remedy that now. (I CAPOSKIA WAS WRONG WHEN I STATED THAT ONE WAS REQUIRED TO BE CHRISTIAN TO BECOME PRESIDENT. SIGNED CAPOSKIA IN WITNESS TO ALL WHO READ THIS BLOG!!!)

I hope we're square now.

Very good.  Took you long enough.

caposkia wrote:

Back to the topic at hand, I have shown you all a lot of integrity.

You have not.

caposkia wrote:
I have given you all just as much if not more quotes from many of the same people you claim to be atheistic making some very theistic statements.

You have been given quotes by the founders in support of secularism, and in denunciation of christianity.  And you have failed to address them. 

caposkia wrote:
I'm sure not every single one of them were believers...

Then go do some real research, and come back when you are sure.

caposkia wrote:
... but it is the majority mindset that is the deciding factor.
And it would appear that by majority mindset, no allegiance was pledged in the Constitution to christianity ... or even to an "almighty god".

caposkia wrote:
Just because they didn't explicitly put in "Christianity Rules!" doesnt' mean they were not abiding by Christian law.

And just because they didn't explicitly put in "Secularism Rules!", doesn't mean they were not abiding by secular law -- because they were.

caposkia wrote:
We've been through this in this blog already, please reread. There is nothing in the Constitution that goes against Christian law as far as I know. Care to stop coming up with excuses for once?

Care to address the Treaty of Tripoli ... for once?  We've been through this already, please reread.  And what is "christian law" anyway?  This should be i

caposkia wrote:

obviously that's what you want to believe. Just understand that whatever beliefs anyone holds privately, they will not blaspheme in public. Therefore, none who believed would go against any of those beliefs in writing said paper.

Noone is saying that the Constitution goes against christian beliefs.  It protects the right of christian to hold his private beliefs (however ridiculous), as well as those who believe in non-christian gods, as well as those who believe in no god.  You are welcome to your private beliefs, they are simply not to impinge upon the rights of others.

[EDIT:  posted in wrong thread]

πππ†
π†††

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
 caposkia,Have you ever

caposkia,

Have you ever considered the possibility that the Mayflower guys and the Founding fathers were a bunch of fake Christians? I ask that because you clearly believe that many self-proclaimed Christians are fake ones. Do you believe that "By Grace of God" King George III was a true Christian or a fake one? And do you believe that his supporters were all true Christians or fake ones?

And if True Christianity does not exist in sects, then the large majority of self-proclaimed Christians who have ever lived are fake ones, including many of those that you claim as True Christians.

Also, you misunderstand Islam. "Allah" is Arabic for "God". And Judaism also uses "God", though Jews sometimes bowdlerize that word as "G_d".

And the Jefferson Bible? I think that he might qualify as a very liberal Christian, one who departs from many traditional dogmas like the Trinity and the Virgin Birth. But if a True Christian must believe that one can go back in a time machine and show that Jesus Christ was conceived without sex, then he was not a True Christian. And I wonder how many self-proclaimed Christians would become non-Christians by that definition.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:The time

caposkia wrote:

The time period would definitely be in the early 2000's... I believe it was 2001 or 2002. See if this site helps at all:

http://geomac.usgs.gov/

Though I'm not sure how detailed the maps are, or if they only show locations of outbreaks. there is a good history on that site none-the-less.

I can't find any maps with circles around individual houses on that site (or circular areas in general).  Where are the maps that you saw?  I'd really just like to be looking at what you're looking at.

As for the founding of the country, you should take a look at the Constitution.  The language used by the founders is rather clear.  Here is the preamble:

Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Notice how it says "we the people" establish the Constitution?  The country was created by the citizens; there is no mention of any god, and none is required.  Also, to "secure the Blessings of Liberty," again, not the blessings of any divine being.  There is no mention of god anywhere in the entire document.  Compare it to the Mayflower Compact that you previously posted, which was clearly Christian and showed its Christian intent.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
I could care less about

I could care less about religous symbols. I just don't want the Federal government promoting them.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia

caposkia wrote:

caposkia,

Have you ever considered the possibility that the Mayflower guys and the Founding fathers were a bunch of fake Christians? I ask that because you clearly believe that many self-proclaimed Christians are fake ones. Do you believe that "By Grace of God" King George III was a true Christian or a fake one? And do you believe that his supporters were all true Christians or fake ones?

Sure I've considered the fact.  Christian lawmakers, fake or not would not go against the teachings of the Christian God in making the laws.  If they did, they couldn't even call themselves a fake Christian.  They may try and pull controversy on some of the more vague of the laws, but that's still not going against it.    What they do "behind closed doors" as the saying goes is the deciding factor. 

By far, no one's perfect, so any true Christian has slipped up possibly hundreds of times in their lives, but when it comes to what they represent, just because they're not "the perfect person" doesn't mean they're going to support what they know is wrong. 

lpetrich wrote:
And if True Christianity does not exist in sects, then the large majority of self-proclaimed Christians who have ever lived are fake ones, including many of those that you claim as True Christians.

I never said True Christianity didn't exist within sects, I said sects don't represent true Christianity.  I'm sure you'll find many true Christians within many sects of Christianity.  You'll also find that those true Christians are bending over backwards to break the walls down from those sects and to wake them up to the reality of what they're suppose to be representing. 

lpetrich wrote:

Also, you misunderstand Islam. "Allah" is Arabic for "God". And Judaism also uses "God", though Jews sometimes bowdlerize that word as "G_d".

I'm not sure what you're referring to here.  Maybe I misrepresented what I was trying to say.  Sometimes my words don't come out the way I intend them too.

I know Allah is Arabic for "God" or more specifically "Deity".  Muhammad actually took the word from the Christians. 

lpetrich wrote:

And the Jefferson Bible? I think that he might qualify as a very liberal Christian, one who departs from many traditional dogmas like the Trinity and the Virgin Birth. But if a True Christian must believe that one can go back in a time machine and show that Jesus Christ was conceived without sex, then he was not a True Christian. And I wonder how many self-proclaimed Christians would become non-Christians by that definition.

It is a very core belief that Jesus Christ was conceived without sex, but that's not what it's all about, it's why Jesus Christ came and what he did.  Please refer to the response I gave Magillum with the "here" link he gave to where his conversation diverges... I'm sorry, I'm a little illiterate when it comes to making links on this page still. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 zarathustra wrote: Show

zarathustra wrote:

Show you the proof that they didn't happen?  The proof that they did happen is insufficient.

...and so is the proof that they didn't. Stalemate!

zarathustra wrote:

Yes.  The story of a virgin-born, cheap trick-performing, undead divinity is so ridiculous, I have indeed decided it can't be true, irrespective of the fact that jesus isn't the only version of the story.  How about mohammed flying to heaven on a horse, joseph smith digging up moroni's golden plates, or l.r.h vacationing in the Van Allen Belt?  Have you decided they can't be true, or are you keeping an open mind?

well, I do keep an open mind... however, when I find historical evidence/proof that things didn't happen, I get a little skeptical.  I'm not sure about all of those examples because I'm not familiar with them all, but i do know historical evidence squashes the Muhammad claim. 

caposkia wrote:

BUT...

zarathustra wrote:

So science can't explain "ball lightning"... therefore the jesus story is true ... but not the dionysus story, nor the mohammed story nor ...

dude, please. I was using that as an example because many times people will say science doesn't prove God or show evidence of this or that as evidence that God is made up.  It wasn't evidence that "the Jesus story is true and everything else can't be." it's just showing how credible taking one narrow point of view really is.   So I"m saying the Muhammad story is true and the... c'mon let's stop speculating and keep it real.  

zarathustra wrote:

When I asked for you to back it up, you said (my emphasis added): 

Quote:
ya know, I could be wrong on that...

Hardly a forthright admission of error.

heh... I'm not going to say I'm wrong unless I know I'm wrong.  I'm sure you wouldn't either.  I was wrong, let's move on... Oh, by the way, I'm human.  I make mistakes sometimes. 

zarathustra wrote:

It's what I get for responding to quickly...

Responding too quickly... and knowing too little.

swallow your pride my friend

zarathustra wrote:

I hope we're square now.

Very good.  Took you long enough.

another blow!  huff... can we move on now?

zarathustra wrote:

Back to the topic at hand, I have shown you all a lot of integrity.

You have not.

have too!

zarathustra wrote:

You have been given quotes by the founders in support of secularism, and in denunciation of christianity.  And you have failed to address them. 

as much as I have given quotes by the founders in support of God and yall have failed to address them. 

zarathustra wrote:

Then go do some real research, and come back when you are sure.

I did.  Yall ignored.  I proved that the majority of the founding fathers (even the ones that people took quotes from claiming to be anti-theistic) were in fact claiming to acknowledge the Christian God. 

zarathustra wrote:

... but it is the majority mindset that is the deciding factor.

And it would appear that by majority mindset, no allegiance was pledged in the Constitution to christianity ... or even to an "almighty god".

but the laws and articles were in consideration of Biblical teachings... compare with "The Bible"

zarathustra wrote:

Just because they didn't explicitly put in "Christianity Rules!" doesnt' mean they were not abiding by Christian law.

And just because they didn't explicitly put in "Secularism Rules!", doesn't mean they were not abiding by secular law -- because they were.

oooh, another stalemate!

zarathustra wrote:

Care to address the Treaty of Tripoli ... for once?  We've been through this already, please reread.  And what is "christian law" anyway?  This should be i

Christian Law is the Law of the New Testament taught by Jesus Christ.

Ok Treaty of Tripoli.  I'm sure you're referring to the part that says "As the Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." 

First, I don't know why people here can't grasp the idea of Christianity without the religion, but that's exactly what the issue is here.  The U.S. is not founded on the Christian (Key Word) RELIGION!!!  Has little to do with the following of the founders first of all be it that it is a treaty of peace and friendship and not a law making document.  it strictly has to do with the representation of the U.S. Government... 

Let me continue the sentence quoted from the Treaty of Tripoli that may clarify this a bit further;  "...as it has in itself no character of enimity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Mussulmen..." etc. 

Basically the religious sects of the time would wage war against the laws and religion etc.  The United States was clarifying that they were not a part of the sects of religion that have presented so much opposition. 

Another note is that the statement presented above would not have even been necessary if the United States was not understood to be a Christian Nation  or a strong following thereof! 

zarathustra wrote:

Noone is saying that the Constitution goes against christian beliefs.  It protects the right of christian to hold his private beliefs (however ridiculous), as well as those who believe in non-christian gods, as well as those who believe in no god.  You are welcome to your private beliefs, they are simply not to impinge upon the rights of others.

precisely

...Please understand I enjoy these conversations and like to joke around in them from time to time as I see you do too, though if I ever say anything to upset you in my sarcasm or joking, please let me know because that's never my intention.  My hope is we can all be serious and have a good discussion and at the same time have a few laughs along the way. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
 Why do you fucking bother,

Why do you fucking bother, Caposkia?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Why do you

magilum wrote:

well, first and foremost.  I truly believe in Jesus Christ, my lord and Savior.  I believe he is Lord, Son of YHWH.  I know, that means nothing to you.  My belief is just as passionate as anyone's belief on this site that God could not possibly be real.  I however considered that path and thoroughly concluded through study and experience that God HAS to be real. 

I bother because I know this Love and I want everyone to know about it.  I also know my roots.  So, just as the Bible says, I always want to challenge my understanding.  That way I know whether what I think I know is really true or not.  Countless times my belief has been Challenged by people like you as well as sects such as the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc.  Countless times I have questioned my understanding of what could be true and yet countless times, God has shown me that what I understand is in fact true. 

I have learned so much more through these experiences however.  I have even tweaked and changed many of my "truths"  because I would find out my understanding was flawed here and there.  The one thing that has never changed through all of this is my belief that the Christian God is real and is the Most High.  This has not changed NOT because I'm stubborn or don't listen to what people are telling me, but because no one has given me probable cause to even consider such.  Also, God has shown me he is real.  It's hard for an imaginary being to actually show their existence. 

You should know to that 99% of what I know today was from questions asked or criticisms toward my belief by people like you or sects of religions.  Those questions and criticisms force me to open books and do research to either reaffirm my understanding or correct it.

I follow what I know today because Atheists, anti-theists, and sects have challenged what I know and made me search for answers.  I have never had a home church, therefore I was never taught a religious point of view.  The answers I have came from God with the assistance of people like you.

That's why I bother.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:magilum

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

well, first and foremost.  I truly believe in Jesus Christ, my lord and Savior.  I believe he is Lord, Son of YHWH.  I know, that means nothing to you.  My belief is just as passionate as anyone's belief on this site that God could not possibly be real.  I however considered that path and thoroughly concluded through study and experience that God HAS to be real. 

I bother because I know this Love and I want everyone to know about it.  I also know my roots.  So, just as the Bible says, I always want to challenge my understanding.  That way I know whether what I think I know is really true or not.  Countless times my belief has been Challenged by people like you as well as sects such as the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc.  Countless times I have questioned my understanding of what could be true and yet countless times, God has shown me that what I understand is in fact true. 

I have learned so much more through these experiences however.  I have even tweaked and changed many of my "truths"  because I would find out my understanding was flawed here and there.  The one thing that has never changed through all of this is my belief that the Christian God is real and is the Most High.  This has not changed NOT because I'm stubborn or don't listen to what people are telling me, but because no one has given me probable cause to even consider such.  Also, God has shown me he is real.  It's hard for an imaginary being to actually show their existence. 

You should know to that 99% of what I know today was from questions asked or criticisms toward my belief by people like you or sects of religions.  Those questions and criticisms force me to open books and do research to either reaffirm my understanding or correct it.

I follow what I know today because Atheists, anti-theists, and sects have challenged what I know and made me search for answers.  I have never had a home church, therefore I was never taught a religious point of view.  The answers I have came from God with the assistance of people like you.

That's why I bother.

Finally a "true christian" who admits to his polytheism.

And we still wait for you to show any evidence of the existence of either of them.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

magilum
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

well, first and foremost.  I truly believe in Jesus Christ, my lord and Savior.  I believe he is Lord, Son of [...]

Blah blah blah -- NO! Wrong. I meant you're bad at what you do. Very bad. Your reasoning and arguments are inept in a field where expertise is meaningless -- apologetics -- so you're really, really wasting your time and doing your own cause a disservice.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

That's why I bother.

Exchange "jesus christ" & any other xtian reference in that heartwrenching, poetic celebration of your own ego w/ (any deity and/or space alien warlord) and there are literally billions of religious persons every bit as convinced and every bit as certain that they...not you  follow the real "truth".  

In fact many of them are probably writing nearly the same declaration (w/ names changed of course).  They have felt the love of their deity personally and the emotions were genuine.  Their priests speak the truth.  Their sacred sciptures tell no lies.  They know everyone else has to be wrong as their sacred scripture tells them so and deities, it turns out are never compatible with one another.  The one thing they do know with 100 % absolute certainty...If anyone out there is wrong...it's not them.

This most certainly means that by process of elimination, billions of religious persons suffer from a sad delusion and though harsh sounding , spend their few days on this planet, lying to themselves and eventually even learn to find comfort in these lies.

Thank...god...it's not you 

George Orwell

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle

AmericanIdle wrote:

Exchange "jesus christ" & any other xtian reference in that heartwrenching, poetic celebration of your own ego w/ (any deity and/or space alien warlord) and there are literally billions of religious persons every bit as convinced and every bit as certain that they...not you  follow the real "truth".  

yup (btw, no ego intended)

americanIdle wrote:

In fact many of them are probably writing nearly the same declaration (w/ names changed of course).  They have felt the love of their deity personally and the emotions were genuine.  Their priests speak the truth.  Their sacred sciptures tell no lies.  They know everyone else has to be wrong as their sacred scripture tells them so and deities, it turns out are never compatible with one another.  The one thing they do know with 100 % absolute certainty...If anyone out there is wrong...it's not them.

Of course it's not them, it's always you.  What's the difference with my scripture you ask?  Mine actually tells you to challenge what you know. 

americanIdle wrote:

This most certainly means that by process of elimination, billions of religious persons suffer from a sad delusion and though harsh sounding , spend their few days on this planet, lying to themselves and eventually even learn to find comfort in these lies.

unfortunately

americanIdle wrote:

I'm glad you see that

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Blah blah blah

magilum wrote:

Blah blah blah -- NO! Wrong. I meant you're bad at what you do. Very bad. Your reasoning and arguments are inept in a field where expertise is meaningless -- apologetics -- so you're really, really wasting your time and doing your own cause a disservice.

And yet no one is able to to successfully refute my "bad" reasoning.  I can't say I've had any "good" reasoning contradicting what I understand to be true. 

btw, I really don't know much about apologetics.   I never learned what it is or what it's about.  So if you're comparing my ways to apologetics, I'm sure I'm very bad at it.  Though I'm not concerned with what apologetics thinks.  I'm just telling you what I know. 

By the way, I'm curious on how I've done my own cause a disservice.  How did I give Jesus a bad name? 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Finally a

jcgadfly wrote:

Finally a "true christian" who admits to his polytheism. And we still wait for you to show any evidence of the existence of either of them.

You decided it was polytheism.  I never said that.  God (YHWH) and Jesus are coexistent, coequal.  Unless of course your view of Trinitarians is belief in 3 gods.  Though if that's the case you completely missed the point. 

If you want to get real technical about wording then Jesus is Lord, not God as in YHWH, he is the son of God (YHWH). 

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:It's hard for

caposkia wrote:

It's hard for an imaginary being to actually show their existence. 

Then you're not consuming enough shrooms.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:caposkia

nigelTheBold wrote:

caposkia wrote:

It's hard for an imaginary being to actually show their existence. 

Then you're not consuming enough shrooms.

HAH!!!! Got me there dude, lolI guess I should have added, "without drugs or other hallucinogenics."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Finally a "true christian" who admits to his polytheism. And we still wait for you to show any evidence of the existence of either of them.

You decided it was polytheism.  I never said that.  God (YHWH) and Jesus are coexistent, coequal.  Unless of course your view of Trinitarians is belief in 3 gods.  Though if that's the case you completely missed the point. 

If you want to get real technical about wording then Jesus is Lord, not God as in YHWH, he is the son of God (YHWH). 

Nothing you said implies Jesus and Yahweh are identical. Multiple things can coexist. I have the same pay grade as one of my coworkers. We are coequal in our pay grade. That does not make us the same being.

My view is similar to Dr. Price's view "Trinitarianism is what people call it when they want to worship God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit but don't want to be called polytheists."

And after you tried to justify the identity between Yahweh and Jesus, you relegate him to the lesser status of "son of God". Make up your mind, please.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Nothing you

jcgadfly wrote:

Nothing you said implies Jesus and Yahweh are identical. Multiple things can coexist. I have the same pay grade as one of my coworkers. We are coequal in our pay grade. That does not make us the same being.

My view is similar to Dr. Price's view "Trinitarianism is what people call it when they want to worship God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit but don't want to be called polytheists."

And after you tried to justify the identity between Yahweh and Jesus, you relegate him to the lesser status of "son of God". Make up your mind, please.

So, if Jesus is God, then does that make Him His own Father? Does that mean He impregnated Mary? Does that make Him a motherfucker?

Yeah. These are the kinds of questions that got me kicked out of Sunday school when I was five. I'm happy to note I've never grown up.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:jcgadfly

nigelTheBold wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

So, if Jesus is God, then does that make Him His own Father? Does that mean He impregnated Mary? Does that make Him a motherfucker?

Yeah. These are the kinds of questions that got me kicked out of Sunday school when I was five. I'm happy to note I've never grown up.

I wish I'd had that enlightened of a childhood.

— George Carlin

magilum
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

And yet no one is able to to successfully refute my "bad" reasoning.  I can't say I've had any "good" reasoning contradicting what I understand to be true.

LOL!!! WTF!!! Are you fucking serious???!!! After all your unsubstantiated crap about mysterious landlocked professors and satellite photos you were never able to locate, you have the gall to pretend not to have been utterly spanked at every single pathetic turn? What's ONE MORE delusion, I guess.

caposkia wrote:

btw, I really don't know much about apologetics.   I never learned what it is or what it's about.  So if you're comparing my ways to apologetics, I'm sure I'm very bad at it.  Though I'm not concerned with what apologetics thinks.  I'm just telling you what I know.

It's not about knowing anything, just being a good sophist. You're not a good sophist, either.

caposkia wrote:

By the way, I'm curious on how I've done my own cause a disservice.  How did I give Jesus a bad name? 

Can't you go five minutes without begging the question? You can't affect the reputation of some crudely rendered figure. Are you so dense that you don't even understand basic criticism? I'm saying your arguments make Christians look even stupider than would silence.

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now you're fucking with MY sacred text!

The Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights could be considered the "holy writ" of this atheist. I am not offended by the public religious displays discussed in the cited article of the OP; I am righteously angry at the violation of my and my fellow Americans' civil rights as guaranteed by the First Amendment. That same law gives the People the right to petition for the redress of their grievances, and is the grounds upon which those legal actions the Crosswalk article mischaracterizes as "offendedness" are based. It has nothing to do with being offended and everything to do with the fact that public religious displays and codified religious language are a violation of the First Amendment rights of every American. I, for one, will never stop fighting until those violations have been properly corrected.

caposkia wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

I didn't ask you to specifically reference every law. I just want you to demonstrate a small collection of laws still enforced today that were founded on the teachings of the Bible and I want you to demonstrate the causitive link between the Bible and those laws.

Ok, and I'm guessing me referencing to Biblical instruction and comparing to United States law won't be good enough for evidence of a Christian basis, so what exactly are you looking for???

The First Amendment (freedom to worship any god(s) or none) couldn't be more contrary to the first Commandment ("Thou shalt have no other gods before me" ). This is clear evidence that American law is in no way based upon "Christian law". Therefore, your argument fails.

caposkia wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

Anyhow, the Treaty of Tripoli does say that the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. That's basically amounts to saying "this is not a Christian nation." You said that you want to start looking at details but I'm curious as to what you mean by this, as you don't provide the details. You also didn't provide the details about what laws were founded on Christian teachings.

the "Christian Religion" and the Christian God and belief system are 2 completely different things. There is Christiandom, which is what you are probably most familiar with, then there is the following. The ones who know God and follow him not by what some church or "wolf in sheeps clothing" pastor says to believe, but by true understanding, research, and relationship.

You're being deliberately obtuse. The writings of the founders throughout their lives make it clear that in referring to the "Christian Religion" in the Treaty of Tripoli, they're talking about the entire belief system.

caposkia wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:
By the time the 14th amendment was made to the Constitution, Christianity was then separated from state governments. All of the official state churches were dismantled and all of the laws based on Christianity that did not have secular reasons for existing were essentially erased from the legal system.

Speaking of details, which laws would those be?

Off the top of my head: Teacher-led prayer in public schools, laws against adultery, articles in various states' Constitutions requiring government officials meet a religious test, anti-miscegenation laws, "sodomy" laws (a recent, yet long-overdue correction), laws against selling alcohol on Sundays. These are just a few...

caposkia wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

This website has had statements in the logo that said theism is a mind disorder. There's clear evidence this website is based on atheism (or, more precisely, antitheism). The same cannot be said of government and of Christianity. You are employing a false analogy.

There is clear evidence to me and many others out there as well that this country was basesd on the Christian God. e.g.

This country has a label on all their currency that claims; "In God we trust" We also claim to be "One nation under God" in our Pledge. So the fact that this site has any antitheistic statements in its logo is irrelevent to it being Atheistic if in fact you can still claim this country is not founded on Christianity.

It's already been pointed out to you that "IGWT" on currency and "under God" in the Pledge were added in by laws created long after the founding of this nation (violations of the First Amendment that Americans of every faith are fighting to have corrected). In both cases, there is clearly no secular purpose for those laws; they were enacted to pander to religionists in times of national distress: the Civil War and the Red Scare, to be exact.

Your last sentence doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

caposkia wrote:

Visual_Paradox wrote:

Your argument didn't hold water and I don't know why you insist that it does. You cannot infer that because Christianity exists in one portion of their brain that therefore any laws produced by their brain must stem from that Christianity portion. You merely assumed a conclusion, which was a non-sequitur because it doesn't logically follow from the premises of your argument.

The point you're missing is that there is no middle of the road. If you're a Christ follower, you're a Christ follower. Otherwise, you're completely and utterly NOT! You can't walk the fenceline and say, 'well, I'm a Christian... but who cares, let's just make laws that make us happy.' Either they were Christians, or they weren't. If they were Christians, logically, their basis for law making had to abide by their understanding of what would be right in God's eyes thus making the basis of their lawmaking, Christian.

You are quite mistaken in your definition of a Christian, especially when applying it to people like Jefferson, Madison, Adams and Franklin. It's not enough to find wisdom in some of the teachings of Jesus (lots of non-Christians do, including me). What makes a Christian a "true" Christian is believing that Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection actually happened, and that he is one's Lord and Savior. By their own words, those men and some others modern Christians would like to think were "on their team" were emphatically not Christians!

I'm quite sure that guaranteeing the People the right to worship gods other than Yahweh, or no gods at all is definitely NOT ok in your God's eyes. That first Commandment is pretty self-explanatory: "...NO gods before Me." The First Amendment alone is evidence that our laws are not based in Christianity, but on the Enlightenment principles of every human being having Natural rights that shall not be infringed upon by those who govern them.

You are ignoring the founders' own admissions that they were NOT Christians, and pretending that the sovereignty of the individual is a biblical principle, when it's not. The right of every person to make their own decisions about whether or not, and whom to worship is not a Christian ideal by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how much verbal and mental gymnastics you employ to support your claim that it is.

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
I took a few raps on the knuckles from the nuns

jcgadfly wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

I wish I'd had that enlightened of a childhood.

Yeah... some of us just weren't wired properly to acquiesce and stop questioning those things that defied logic. Even at the tender age of 9 I found it necessary to ask where, exactly, Cain got a wife; and why, if his family was the only one on earth he feared someone killing him when God pronounced his banishment. Unfortunately for the Church, the nuns couldn't BEAT the skeptic out of me!

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(btw, no ego

caposkia wrote:

Quote:
(btw, no ego intended)

Quote:

I'm glad you see that

Gee, who could have predicted that ?

George Orwell

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:Yeah...

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:

Yeah... some of us just weren't wired properly to acquiesce and stop questioning those things that defied logic. Even at the tender age of 9 I found it necessary to ask where, exactly, Cain got a wife; and why, if his family was the only one on earth he feared someone killing him when God pronounced his banishment. Unfortunately for the Church, the nuns couldn't BEAT the skeptic out of me!

Exactly! I kind of got in trouble for that, too. I asked that, if Adam and Eve were the only two on earth, they must've had both boys and girls. And that if they were the only people on earth, that means that brothers must've married sisters. That's incest, and isn't that a sin?

Oh, yeah. Mrs. Manier wasn't real happy with me that day.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote:Personally,

triften wrote:

Personally, I'm bothered by crosses since they are torture devices. The Romans used them for incredibly painful executions. I think that any group that uses a torture device as their symbol while claiming to be about peace and love is up to something.

-Triften 

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back, he's really going to want to see a fucking cross? Ow! Maybe that's why he hasn't shown up yet... it's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a sniper rifle pendant..."    — Bill Hicks.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Back to the OP question,

Back to the OP question,  "Does Jesus or the Cross offend you?"

I feel it as more of an embarrassment and a lesson of our stupidity and ignorance. Maybe I should put a huge blood stained cross on my front lawn ???

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
"A thing is a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide..."

"... and the id goes marching on..."

I'd be very, very surprised, indeed if anyone'll remember that phrase or where it's from Eye-wink

IAM wrote:

Back to the OP question,  "Does Jesus or the Cross offend you?"

I feel it as more of an embarrassment and a lesson of our stupidity and ignorance.

Well, there's that...

Then again, I often get a little giggle knowing that the pious, sexually repressed Christians wear their crosses in reverence of its significance as an instrument of death, when it represented male fertility and LIFE in the earliest religions.

Christians love the cock! They just can't admit it, poor things.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:LOL!!! WTF!!!

magilum wrote:

LOL!!! WTF!!! Are you fucking serious???!!! After all your unsubstantiated crap about mysterious landlocked professors and satellite photos you were never able to locate, you have the gall to pretend not to have been utterly spanked at every single pathetic turn? What's ONE MORE delusion, I guess.

Let's see who's living a delusion here.

First, I know those people personally and I saw the photographs.  This was a few years ago.  I did have the maps on my computer, but I can't find them now.  I'll have to try to contact the person who sent them to me if you feel so inclined to call me a liar.

Also, If anyone would like to check out my other blogs, they can see for themselves that that "landlocked professor" (singular)  was in fact someone I didn't know much about.  HOWEVER!  After a bit of research I posted at least 3 other links backing up his claims... (which if I'm not mistaken was actually the issue and not the professor himself.) 

Regardless, no one refuted those claims.  The only basis for defense anyone on this site had was; "who's the professor, what? you don't know?  Can't be credible.  Sure so you find someone who claims something and it has to be true..."  well, no... but prove me wrong.  Anyone??? (crickets chirping) 

magilum wrote:

It's not about knowing anything, just being a good sophist. You're not a good sophist, either.

I'm not trying to be

[/quote=magilum]

Can't you go five minutes without begging the question? You can't affect the reputation of some crudely rendered figure. Are you so dense that you don't even understand basic criticism? I'm saying your arguments make Christians look even stupider than would silence.

I'm still waiting for a good counter-argument.  So far I've heard you call me stupid, ask me why I bother, tell me I'm wrong when I tell you why I bother and you obviously getting very upset instead of trying to help me understand what you may or may not be trying to say. 

I'm sorry, but you're not representing your own kind very well.  We're all in this together.

Just for the record.  I never said I was smarter than you or anyone on here.  I've explained myself.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Nothing you

jcgadfly wrote:

If you really want to get into a discussion about the Trinity, Trinitarians, and whether Followers really believe in a 3 headed god, or 1 god that is three people or whatever, we should really start a new blog. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ObnoxiousBroad wrote:The

ObnoxiousBroad wrote:

The First Amendment (freedom to worship any god(s) or none) couldn't be more contrary to the first Commandment ("Thou shalt have no other gods before me" ). This is clear evidence that American law is in no way based upon "Christian law". Therefore, your argument fails.

God was never a dictator despite any non-believer that would like to believe he is.  He has always said if you want to walk away from me than go, the door will be open if you decide to return. 

Therefore, for this country to make a law that states you cannot worship any other God here would violate the freedom God expressed to his people to walk away from him whenever they wanted. 

I agree with what you are saying though, however, those commandments are for those who choose to follow God.

obnoxiousbroad wrote:

You're being deliberately obtuse. The writings of the founders throughout their lives make it clear that in referring to the "Christian Religion" in the Treaty of Tripoli, they're talking about the entire belief system.

The point of the statement though, was that they were not going to impose that upon them or go against them in any way because of that.  You'd need to look at the oppression of the "religions" at that time if you don't understand.

obnoxiousbroad wrote:

Off the top of my head: Teacher-led prayer in public schools, laws against adultery, articles in various states' Constitutions requiring government officials meet a religious test, anti-miscegenation laws, "sodomy" laws (a recent, yet long-overdue correction), laws against selling alcohol on Sundays. These are just a few...

Teacher-led prayer would in fact be imposing belief on someone else who doesn't believe.  I agree with that myself. 

what do you mean laws against adultery?  Which laws.  Are there laws that say it's ok?

I don't know when the law about selling alcohol on Sunday came out, and I don't understand it.  Followers of Christ know Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine. (may I add to give to people who were already half gone!)  Therefore, the law to stop selling on Sunday as far as I understand it has no Biblical basis. 

obnoxiousbroad wrote:

It's already been pointed out to you that "IGWT" on currency and "under God" in the Pledge were added in by laws created long after the founding of this nation (violations of the First Amendment that Americans of every faith are fighting to have corrected). In both cases, there is clearly no secular purpose for those laws; they were enacted to pander to religionists in times of national distress: the Civil War and the Red Scare, to be exact.

Your last sentence doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

To clarify the last sentence, some of the counter-arguments were coming to me as regardless of what it says, it doesn't mean our nation is a "Christian Nation".  I'm understanding that to say then that I could hold a similar view about this site (though obviously wrong)  That being that regardless of the anti-Christian statements, this site is not an anti-theist or atheist site. AND that it could have in fact been designed by Christians. 

I guess the question I'd pose from that is, what makes something what it is?  E.g. what makes this site an Atheistic site, or what makes a country a _________ country be it Christian, Muslim, Etc?  If it's the laws, then this nation is a Christian Nation.  If it's the majority of the population, this country is still a Christian Nation.  If it comes down to who speaks louder, then maybe we're on to something.

[/quote=obnoxiousbroad]

You are quite mistaken in your definition of a Christian, especially when applying it to people like Jefferson, Madison, Adams and Franklin. It's not enough to find wisdom in some of the teachings of Jesus (lots of non-Christians do, including me). What makes a Christian a "true" Christian is believing that Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection actually happened, and that he is one's Lord and Savior. By their own words, those men and some others modern Christians would like to think were "on their team" were emphatically not Christians!

Right.  I believe many of them believed that.  NOT ALL, many.  One person quoted Lincoln a while back claiming that quote proved he didn't believe... However another quote from Lincoln states: "The Bible is the greatest gift God has given to man".  Very anti-Christian if you ask me.

obnoxiousbroad wrote:

You are ignoring the founders' own admissions that they were NOT Christians, and pretending that the sovereignty of the individual is a biblical principle, when it's not. The right of every person to make their own decisions about whether or not, and whom to worship is not a Christian ideal by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how much verbal and mental gymnastics you employ to support your claim that it is.

I agree.  Though I haven't seen any direct quotes from the people I've quoted that actually said, "I'm not a Christian OR a follower of Christ."  Many of them may have questioned it, but who hasn't?

magilum
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

Let's see who's living a delusion here.

First, I know those people personally and I saw the photographs.  This was a few years ago.  I did have the maps on my computer, but I can't find them now.  I'll have to try to contact the person who sent them to me if you feel so inclined to call me a liar.

LOL!!!!!!! HO... LEE... SHIT.

caposkia wrote:

Also, If anyone would like to check out my other blogs, they can see for themselves that that "landlocked professor" (singular)  was in fact someone I didn't know much about.  HOWEVER!  After a bit of research I posted at least 3 other links backing up his claims... (which if I'm not mistaken was actually the issue and not the professor himself.) 

I recommend checking out Caposkia's contributions to the Todd Gates thread for moar lulz.

caposkia wrote:

Regardless, no one refuted those claims.  The only basis for defense anyone on this site had was; "who's the professor, what? you don't know?  Can't be credible.  Sure so you find someone who claims something and it has to be true..."  well, no... but prove me wrong.  Anyone??? (crickets chirping) 

That's an outright lie.

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

I'm not trying to be

Congratulations on being a bad and unconvincing sophist, then.

caposkia wrote:

magilum wrote:

I'm still waiting for a good counter-argument.  So far I've heard you call me stupid, ask me why I bother, tell me I'm wrong when I tell you why I bother and you obviously getting very upset instead of trying to help me understand what you may or may not be trying to say.

I see your tact now. But anyone can check your history, and see whether you've been successful in supporting your claims. Then they'll see what passes for evidence on planet Caposkia, and shit themselves laughing.

caposkia wrote:

I'm sorry, but you're not representing your own kind very well.  We're all in this together.

You're not a... duct repairman, are you?

caposkia wrote:

Just for the record.  I never said I was smarter than you or anyone on here.  I've explained myself.

What a relief.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:

caposkia wrote:

If you really want to get into a discussion about the Trinity, Trinitarians, and whether Followers really believe in a 3 headed god, or 1 god that is three people or whatever, we should really start a new blog. 

trinitarianism <<< Ready when you are

πππ†
π†††

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

If you want to keep it one on one - feel free to PM me.

— George Carlin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:those crosses

caposkia wrote:

those crosses were the worst kind of punishment of it's time.

Crucifixion was the worst form of punishment ( most painful ? ), .....and yet Jesus was completely able to focus his thoughts enough to have conversations with the two thieves on either side of him as well address his mother.....and then make his final farewell speech to God himself. 

Crucifixion was in no way the most horrible of judicial forms of death of that period  ( spare me the Christian exaggeration ) .

Jesus should count himself lucky that his final moments did not rest with a wicked device known as the Brazen Bull.  A hollow brass container shaped like a bull into which unlucky victims were placed inside.  Then a fire was built underneath the bull so as to slowly broil the victim and to cause one of the most physically agonizing deaths achievable.  Click on link:

http://www.nndb.com/people/837/000097546/

I dare say that if Jesus were executed within one of these devices his only utterances would have been shrieks of pain.....his chatty exchanges with everyone around him would have been conspicuously absent.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Crucifixion was the worst form of punishment ( most painful ? ), .....and yet Jesus was completely able to focus his thoughts enough to have conversations with the two thieves on either side of him as well address his mother.....and then make his final farewell speech to God himself. 

Crucifixion was in no way the most horrible of judicial forms of death of that period  ( spare me the Christian exaggeration ) .

Jesus should count himself lucky that his final moments did not rest with a wicked device known as the Brazen Bull.  A hollow brass container shaped like a bull into which unlucky victims were placed inside.  Then a fire was built underneath the bull so as to slowly broil the victim and to cause one of the most physically agonizing deaths achievable.  Click on link:

I dare say that if Jesus were executed within one of these devices his only utterances would have been shrieks of pain.....his chatty exchanges with everyone around him would have been conspicuously absent.

That (the heroic dialogue on the cross), among other things, is what makes me think of Jesus as more of a literary device than a real being.

— George Carlin

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ObnoxiousBroad  I Love You

ObnoxiousBroad  I Love You Girl, 

and thanks to who ever posted this quote,

"Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacrements of canibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture."  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

caposkia wrote:

I'm not here to debate the severity of his death.  The fact is, he died for us so that we may live.   He was beaten for our iniquities.  you know the verses I'm sure.